Monday, January 23, 2012

People kept telling us shortly before the adoption with a twinkle in their eye, "You know you better enjoy your sleep for now, because once the baby comes..."  When I heard this I just thought, "Ah, she's a newborn.  She'll sleep all the time."  Well, I learned something over the last 48 hours.  Newborn babies do sleep a lot...just not at night :)

Elise and I enjoyed our first night with the baby.  She woke up every hour or so to eat, get a diaper change, or just be snuggled.  Elise was a gem.  She changed many a diaper.  I helped out some as well with some coaching from Elise's mom.  I learned that it is good to burp the baby a couple times during a feeding.  What priceless advice!  I know Elle appreciated it too! 
At 4:45 am, she ate, enjoyed a diaper change and has been sleeping in 3-4 hour increments since, with feedings and diaper changes in between.  Right now she is sleeping like a rock. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment